Saturday, July 5, 2008

Jumping Jehosephats! - J.J. Hardy!

Actually, the "J.J." stands for James Jerry (although I could have sworn that Robin Yount referred to him as "John" on the Brewers' telecast the other night).

Hardy is playing out of his mind right now. Consider the following:

-At the end of April, Hardy was hitting .234 with 1 HR and 8 RBI.

-At the end of May, he was hitting .249 with 2 HRs and 15 RBI.

-On June 10, he was hitting .242. Since then, his batting average has risen 50 points to .292.

-He now has 10 HRs, including 4 in the last 4 games.

-He now has 34 RBI, including 8 in the last 5 games.

-His hitting streak stands at 16 games now, and he has 15 hits in the last 5 games.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does this mean that you throw in Alcedis Escobar into the CC Sabathia trade?
SS

Ardent Moss said...

I wouldn't...at least not any deal that already includes LaPorta and Gamel...I think it would be ok to lose two of those guys, but not all three...But what I've heard and read about Escobar, I would be the most upset about losing him of all the other players...Jim Powell was raving about him the other night

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I heard Powell too and I remember seeing EScobar in a spring training game, he's pretty amazing defensively, but can he hit? Then again, Weeks can't hit or field, so it'd be an automatic upgrade. Plus, the could move the slower Hardy to 2B where his range isn't a liability.
I would definetely keep LaPorta. I think you could pencil in Braun, Hart, and Laporta for a long time in the outfield. Gamel is terrible defensively, so I think he's the easiest to part with. I figure you package something including a few of the following: Gwynn, Nix, Gamel, Nelson, Rottino etc.
Also, I read about Bilbo's patient who fakes heart attacks to get free steaks on the national news. Was he the "unnamed source?"
SS

Anonymous said...

According to JSonline the Brewers have made an offer that sounds like it includes Laporta. Kinda hoping the Indians shoot us down.
SS

Ardent Moss said...

HAHA...I'm glad you saw that story...I was going to post it on the blog but forgot to...I don't think Bob was quoted in the story, because the stories he told me about that guy were a tad more colorful.

It would be great if the Brewers could send Gwynn, Nix, or Rottino, but I doubt the Indians want those three...they are looking at the younger, more upside guys

I think Escobar is doing pretty well offensively this year, but I'm too lazy to look up his numbers

I'm not so sure Hart is going to be around long term...I heard he has already turned down one contract offer from Melvin