Monday, April 28, 2008

NFL Draft

I really don't care much for the NFL draft. In fact, I think it is one of the most over-hyped events in all of sports. I usually pay attention to only two things from the draft: who the Packers get, and which Badgers got drafted.

So who did the Packers get? A pair of quarterbacks that no one is really enthused about much, a couple of wide receivers I've never heard of, a TE from Texas, two defensive players, a guard, and some dude named Breno. I know pretty much nothing about most of these players, so I won't pretend to offer up any analysis. I think it's ridiculous to read too much into these drafts anyhow, and it makes more sense to grade how a team performed a few years after the players actually put on their new jerseys. The only criticism I can think of, is that it might have made some sense to get a running back - I know we have Ryan Grant, but he hasn't played a full season yet, and running backs in today's NFL have a short lifespan.

Meanwhile, four players from last year's UW team heard their names called. Of the 6 total minutes I spent watching the draft this year, 3 of them actually came when Hubbard was selected by Cleveland. It was nice to hear all of the studio analysts talk about Hubbard and the tradition of Wisconsin wide receivers (like Chris Chambers and Lee Evans).

One final note, former Badger punter Ken DeBauche went undrafted, but was signed by the Packers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought it was a pretty solid draft for the Packers. They addressed the back-up QB situation, as well as adding depth in the secondary. A little confused about the selection of a WR with their first pick, but he did catch 122 passes last year, which is more than all the Badgers combined will catch this year, so I guess more depth can' hurt.
I was happy they signed Debauche as a free agent. I can't remember the last time that a Badger wasn't drafted until the end of the fourth round. And a crippled, in trouble with the law Badger at that.
Did you see the Bball team signed Madison Memorial sophomore Vander Blue? I saw him play at the state tournament, reminded me a lot of Michael Flowers as a high schooler. Quick, and very agressive. I think he has the Bo Ryan no nonsence demeanor.
SS