Friday, April 18, 2008

Summer Movie Preview

We're halfway through April and the film industry has yet to deliver the first truly great movie of 2008.

I have good news and bad news. The good news is that summer is quickly approaching, which means that Hollywood will soon be depositing a number of blockbusters into theaters. The bad news is that only a few of them look like they will be surefire hits. There are a lot of movies that look questionable, and I've included some of those on my list below.

Most Looking Forward To:

May 23 - Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

There were two movies that I grew up with: The Natural and Raiders of the Lost Ark. They could have named this movie Indiana Jones and the Trip to Quiznos and I would still be looking forward to the release date.








July 18 - The Dark Knight

I saw Batman Begins in the theater and thought it was easily the best of the franchise. This sequel looks even better.








Good Chance of Being Worthwhile

May 2 - Iron Man

I'm not a huge comic book fan, but I have enjoyed adaptations such as the X-Men series or some of the Batman films. This movie has been getting a lot of buzz.








June 20 - Get Smart

Steve Carell has built up a fairly solid film record in the last few years, and hopefully this will be an addition and not a subtraction.








July 4 - Hancock

It's hard to go wrong with a summer blockbuster starring Will Smith.








August 8 - Pineapple Express

The Apatow Machine looks to score laughs with the ultimate slacker-stoner-buddy-road trip comedy.








August 15 - Tropic Thunder

I'll be the first to admit that the premise for this movie sounds especially dumb. But after watching the trailer, I thought that this could actually be a pretty funny movie.








Probably Duds

June 13 - The Happening

It's really sad to track the diminishing quality of M. Night Shyamalan's films. After watching this trailer, it's hard to have hope for this movie.








July 25 - Step Brothers

This looks like another formulaic addition to Will Ferrell's IMDB page.





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see Sheets is hurt. Well, he put in his mandatory 4 starts a year, he'll shut it down till August

Anonymous said...

thank you for this

Ardent Moss said...

I'm guessing this gave you something to do at work.